It’s hard to believe these two little sweethearts have only been in our lives for 3 months. Time is flying by. They really are the sweetest babies.
They are both wearing size 2 diapers, although they are a little big on both of them. Emily and Olivia both hate having a poopy diaper. If there is anything in their diapers they are sure to let us know about it. They both have beautiful smiles. My favorite thing to do these days is get them to crack a smile. They love being talked to, even by their big brothers. Their eyes are gorgeous and both seem to be a similar shade of blue. We moved the girls upstairs and my office downstairs. My mom got the girls these cute little butterflies and we attached them to the ceiling fan. They love to sit in their cribs and watch as the butterflies “fly” above them. Both girls still love to be held and snuggle in little little monkeys. Emily and Olivia are both amazing eaters… and efficient. They’re already taking less than 10 minutes a feeding and then they’re done.
- Emily has been doing awesome sleeping. She made it over a week sleeping 7+ hours each night. We decided to let her sleep instead of waking her up with Olivia wanted to eat because Olivia has been sick and we were curious how long Emily could go.
- In the mornings she can be found talking to herself with sweet gurgles waiting patiently in her crib for someone to come and get her.
- Emily is always wide eyed and looking around, afraid to miss a thing.
- Her eyes!! She has the biggest blue eyes just like her brother Anthony.
- They are both getting very strong. Emily seems to like tummy time more than Olivia and can hold her head up pretty high.
- Emily loves to eat. Which typically means she overeats and spits up whatever her stomach can’t hold. Then she gives us the biggest content smile.
- Olivia is still waking up every 3 hours at night to feed. She has been pretty sick though so half the time I’m not sure if she’s hungry or if she’s just having trouble breathing through her coughing fits.
- Olivia likes quiet. She’ll get really upset and stop eating on me if her brothers are making too much noise around her. Sometimes I’ll have to take her to a quiet dark room and escape the chaos to get her to finish eating.
- Have I mentioned how cute her half grin is that she got from me?!?
- Her eyelashes!!
- She has the cutest little belly button. It looks like it’s an almost outtie. Reminds me of an @ sign.
- We are getting an au pair! We are so excited that Patricia Freitas de Lima Matos will be joining our family starting in January. She gets to the United States on the 4th but has a training session and won’t get to our place until the 8th. We’ve done a few Skype video calls with her so far and know she is going to fit in nicely with our family.
- My mom leaves on Wednesday to head back to Montana to get my dad. Then the two of them are driving across the country back to Baltimore to spend the holidays with us. We’re lucky we’ll get to celebrate both of their birthdays as well. We can’t wait to see Grandpa and I’m sure Grandma is excited as well.
- My maternity leave is going by way too fast. I have to go back to work the 4th of January. Our old nanny, Ann, offered to help me out that first week until our au pair starts the following week.
- We have definitely gotten into a routine. Steve has been waking up early with the boys and taking them to school and then coming home to swap cars so that we have the minivan. Then around noon we swing by the school to grab the boys and feed them lunch and try to get them down for a nap around 1. It usually takes them until around 2 to finally fall asleep (probably doesn’t help that they’re in the same room talking to each other). Then we usually have someone come over to help between 3 and 3:30 in the afternoon when the boys wake up until 6pm. The girls are still in the infant phase of sleeping on demand but they are getting to where they take a long nap in the morning and another one in the afternoon.
- We had a few guests this month including Aunt Leslie, Uncle Lonnie, and Katie. It was amazing having 6 extra arms to watch and play with all the kiddos. We definitely miss them. Nathan is still asking “Where is Katie and her friends in the basement?”.
The boys are 3!!
This is probably my favorite age so far with the boys. They are talking so much and beginning to question their world. Their personalities are growing stronger each day.
- They started school! It’s a part time program at Cedar Croft in Baltimore just a few miles from our home. They love it!
- They are both potty trained now but are still having accidents at night. Grandma Seacat convinced us to do pull-ups at night since we have enough things to do with the girls and laundry was piling up.
- They both love to sing. Every night at bedtime they make Grandma Seacat sing songs to them. Their favorites are the ABC song and Twinkle Twinkle.
- They can count to ten and even further but the accuracy is inconsistent past 10.
- They are still going down for naps. We’re trying to have them sleep from 1 pm to 3 pm. Nathan definitely needs a nap but Anthony will typically just hang out in his room. We separated them for naptime into separate rooms but we’ll be putting them back into the same room here soon so that the girls can have the office room where Anthony currently is.
- According to their teachers from parent teacher conferences last week, they are both very well mannered. They say please and thank you and are patient with the teachers. They understand they aren’t the only kids in the world and will wait their turn. It probably has something to do with being a twin… although at home this doesn’t seem to be the case, they both boss grandma around.
- They are both great big brothers. They are so gentle yet curious with the girls. We’ll see how that changes once the girls start moving.
- Height: 38 1/4″ (75th percentile)
- Weight: 33 1/2 lbs (50th percentile)
- Favorite Toys: Cars, trucks, and trains. He is very much a little boy.
- Anthony hates to get his hair wet. When he’s in the bath or shower and it gets wet he screams bloody murder.
- Anthony loves to get his picture taken. The other day he even requested that I take a picture of him. He is charming with his beautiful smile.
- Anthony generally doesn’t like to get yelled at. It’s very peaceful with him at dinner because he sits at his chair well behaved and eats almost anything we feed him.
- Height: 36 1/2″ (25th percentile)
- Weight: 30 3/4 lbs (50th percentile)
- Favorite Toys: Anything with a plug. He loves to take things a part. He is our engineer.
- Nathan is still our jokester. He is so smart yet knows how to get a rise out of people. If you ask him which baby sister you’re holding he’ll say the correct name and then when we say yes he says “No, <other sister’s name> and gives a big grin”.
- Nathan is our talker. No one else can really get a word in.
- Dinner time is a challenge with Nathan. We spend a lot of time yelling at him to get back into his chair and eat dinner with the rest of us.
- Nathan loves to challenge us. If we ask him to do something he’ll either do the opposite or ask why over and over again.
- We are holding in there after the shock of doubling our offspring. Steve and I haven’t had much time together lately just because we’re dealing with the kids. My mom is here helping so her and I sleep in the basement together up with the girls all night so Steve can get his sleep for work.
- We have the boys going to school in the mornings and then in the afternoon we have someone come to our home to help watch them from 3 – 6. The boys love the two women who have been coming: Dakota and Alissa. Dakota is a student at Loyola University. Alissa is a teacher at the boys school and does all sorts of fun projects with them. We’ve been talking about what to do for the girls and we are seriously considering getting an au pair. I’m excited about the possibility of having someone from another country share their culture with us and become part of the family. We have a great setup in our basement with an additional bedroom and bathroom for a potential au pair to live.
- I’m currently out on maternity leave and will be headed back to work in January. It’s been so nice getting to spend the early days with the girls while they are infants and have some time to prepare childcare for the new year.
- The whole house has been battling a cold for the past month. I’m sure we’ll see more of this now that the boys are off at school. Between the cold and the c-section recovery I haven’t felt like myself in a long time.
The girls are two months, the months, weeks and days are flying by. It’s hard to believe I’ve been away from work for this long already. They were in such great moods during this photo shoot that I am having the hardest time choosing which photos to share on the blog. It was such a different experience than their brothers 3 year photo shoot that I did right before. Speaking of their brothers, here’s their 2 month old blog post. The girls are a good 2 pounds bigger than the boys were at their age.
- They are wearing size 1 diapers now. Although occasionally we put a size 2 on them.
- Their hair is starting to come in. Olivia’s looks like it’s a strawberry blonde and Emily’s looks a little darker.
- We’re doing a lot of tummy time but mostly on people. They are getting strong quickly and can hold up their heads for short periods of time. They love to be held and be close to someone’s body heat. It can be difficult when it’s just one person watching them when they cry because they want to be held.
- They sleep a lot. They are asleep for 18 or so hours a day.
- They’re eating every 3 hours. During the day I feed them on demand as they need it. Especially since recently they were feeling sick. In the evenings they have been going 3 hours between feedings. Every now and then we’ll get a 4 – 5 hour stretch but 3 hours is the norm.
- They are easy. Not sure if it’s because it’s our second set of twins or the fact they are girls but they seem so much easier than the boys did. We’ve got everything down to a science. Tandem feeding has worked out so well. …that being said… ask me again in a month when Grandma leaves us!
- They are using pacifiers and have been since they were born. They aren’t a huge fan of them. They tend to spit them out in favor of their thumbs these days.
- We never really swaddled them like we did the boys. We’ve been putting just their legs into a loose swaddle.
- They both got the DTAP, IPV, HIB, Prevnar-13, Rotarix vaccines at their 2 month appointment. Two shots in the legs and one oral mist. Poor girls!
- Height: 22″ (26%)
- Weight: 10 lbs 15 ozs (49%)
- Head circumference: 15″ (50%)
- She is so calm and easy going. She smiles a lot and only really cries when she is hungry.
- Emily is compassionate. If Olivia is having a hard time Emily will cry as well just to let us all know that Olivia is upset. They are a cute crying harmony of babies.
- She is starting to coo a lot. She’s a talker!
- Height: 22″ (26%)
- Weight: 10lbs 4 ozs (25%)
- Head circumference: 14 1/2″ (10%)
- Olivia hates it when she has a dirty diaper. I have a feeling she is going to be easy to potty train. As soon as there is anything in there at all she is screaming until one of us changes her.
- Olivia looks a lot like my side of the family. She even has my half grin!
- Olivia has a shorter temper than Emily. If she is upset about something she isn’t afraid to let us know.
We got a few videos of the girls during the photoshoot. I need to do more videos as they seem to be my favorite way to look back over the years.
Love this one of Olivia waving…
I can’t believe the boys are two and a half years old! They have changed so much in the last couple months and are so much fun to be around. Here are a few of the highlights:
- They are potty trained! At least during the day. There are still a few accidents at night but it’s super easy to throw the sheets in the washer in the morning. If I tell them they’ll get candy in the morning if they’re dry then they typically are. So they can do it, just need the right motivation.
- They both love to help daddy cook. They pretend with some fake food or real pots and pans to make us things like pancakes and blueberry muffins.
- They love to help me put lotion on the “babies” and use the doppler to listen to the heart beats. If you ask them what is in mommy’s belly they say “babies” and if you ask how many they say “one two!”. Nathan and Anthony also think they have babies in their bellies though.
- It must be their age but neither boy listens very well. Going to bed every night has turned into a fight. It’s even tougher now that I’m pregnant because I can’t really wrestle them into their pj’s or pick them up and put them into their room. I hope this passes…
- Speaking of, the terrible two’s are in full swing. Lots of whining, crying, and fighting. That being said it balances out with a lot of smiles, laughter, and hugs. Each night the boys make us give them a hug, a kiss, and an Eskimo kiss.
- We don’t take baths anymore, instead they invade the previously peaceful alone time Steve and I used to have taking showers. They love to sit on the ground and play.
- They love and hate each other. They’re definitely brothers. They are very aware of each other and play, get jealous, laugh, cry, and fight. Everything any close siblings would do…
- They both can count. At least to 3, then they skip 4 and 5 and say “6,7,8,9.10” pretty fast. Somedays they’ll get all 10 digits correctly. Very smart boys.
- Unofficially weighs about 32 lbs. He’ll step on my scale and wait for the readings.
- Anthony is a lot bigger than his brother. I’d say he’s got about 4 inches on him and over 4 pounds.
- So particular! He is a little obsessive. It’s so strange to see. He has his Aunt Sara’s conniption about tags. He’ll cry and fight to get a tshirt off if it has a tag, until someone cuts it off. He refused to try on shoes the other day because of the price tag on the shoes.
- Anthony will yell at Nathan is Nathan is doing something that would make Steve or I upset.
- favorite song: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Anthony loves to sing.
- Theme Song: “Knee Knee Knee Knee Anthony”
- Anthony is an awesome eater. He’ll eat almost anything we put in front of him. He likes salads (even arugula and kale)
- He’s a stuffed animal guy still. Loves his “teddy” the most followed by “puppy” and “donkey”
- Anthony is so caring. He worries about Nathan. If Nathan cries Anthony will give him whatever the thing was to make him happy again (toy, drink, food). And he thinks about him when Anthony is cold he’ll ask for a shirt for Nathan too.
- He weighs in at a whopping 28 lbs (according to our scale). He is a little one but so strong. Probably still not on the growth charts.
- Nathan is talking, not just in complete sentences, but in complete stories. He streams a number of sentences together to tell us what is going on in his little life. He is non-stop talking. He’ll also use words like “I”, “me”, “my”, “this”, “that” which is amazing to me.
- His joke-ster personality is coming out in full force. He loves to tease Anthony. Check out the video of Nathan telling Anthony that his name was Nate. Anthony gets so upset and Nathan keeps egging him on. I think it’s a sign of things to come.
- Favorite Song: Humpty Dumpty, any excuse to fall down on purpose.
- Theme song: Na-Na-Na Nathan
- Favorite color: blue, to the point where he’ll cry if he doesnt get the blue cup or plates.
- Nathan definitely got my sweet tooth. He’s more particular when it comes to what he eats than Anthony. He’s still a pretty good eater though and his favorite meal is breakfast.
- Nathan loves to be naked. Most of the time when we’re playing in the backyard he’ll find some excuse to run around naked… our poor neighbors.
- Still obsessed with his “B B”, a blue blanket he’s had since hew as a baby. He’s not attached to any stuffed animals.
- I don’t know where this boy finds his energy. He’s always running at full speed. Luckily he’s not as fast as Anthony.
- Nathan got my sweet tooth. He will do almost anything for a little sugar.
… did I mention they’re going to be the BEST big brothers?!?
- Steve and I are holding in there but borderline nerve breakdowns every few days. We’re so nervous about having another set of twins. I’m also pretty worried about my ever growing belly. The boys are already faster than me and in combination with their inability to listen… is scary.
- I got a new job at IBM and am loving it within the Commerce organization. The days so by so fast. I got a few external recognitions lately, most recently being named one of Fast Companies 100 Most Creative People of 2015.
- We’re slowly crossing things off our things to do around the house and getting ready for the next wave of kiddos. We plan on putting them in the basement (along with us) so they’re far enough away from the boys that they don’t wake them up in the night. We gave away our huge tv and put our couch in the attic. Lots of room for cribs now.
I can’t believe it’s been two years since the boys were born. This last year has flown by. I love this age. They are so much fun to be around and they’re really starting to interact with one another.
It’s still almost impossible to get the boys to pose next to each other for a picture.
Even individually. Anthony is much better at smiling for the camera in general. Nathan is so busy, he’s always got something else he needs to be doing. Luckily we can bribe them a little bit these days. Especially to get them to hug and kiss.
They really are best friends. Like anyone would, they get sick of each other every now and then and we try to give them individual attention by taking one of them on an adventure while the other stays with the other parent at home.
We took them to the doctor for their 2 year checkup this Monday (learned our lesson about taking them on their birthday). They got their second dose of Hep A as well as a flu vaccine. They fed off each other when it came to Dr. Sullivan taking their measurements… meaning there was a lot of kicking and screaming. She suggested that next time we make two separate appointments.
- They are both still wearing diapers. We’re on size 5s although sometimes Anthony wears a 6.
- We’re still taking a nap. Typically sometime between 12:30 and 1:30 they go down for about 2 hours. They go to bed around 7:30 pm and wake up around 7:30 am. We like to let them hang out in their rooms until 8 pm but sometimes we’ll get them earlier depending on the screaming level.
- They’re both talking a lot but not complete sentences or even phrases. I’d say they understand almost everything we say and are starting to repeat most words.
- They both LOVE to go swimming. We try to get them to the Y at least once a week. They’re both very comfortable in the water. They jump off the ladder into our arms and run around with huge smiles on their faces.
- They are really good eaters. For as long as I can remember we’ve been giving them whatever food we eat for lunches and dinner. So they’ll try almost anything. Sometimes they don’t like it but that seems to be correlated to whether or not they’ve had a lot of snacks before the meal. In general they love to eat.
- They’re walking/running everywhere. Usually around dinner time we’ll wear them out by doing “circles” around the house inside.
- They both have gotten my sweet tooth. They are easily bribed with candy, chocolate, and ice cream. Nathan especially.
- Weight: 25 6/16 (20%)
- Height: 33 5/8″ (25%)
- Favorite color: blue
- Favorite toy: they got some Squigs for their birthday and Nathan hasn’t put them down. He’ll collect just the blue ones.
- Favorite food: meat. Nathan is our meat eater.
- Nathan is so smart. He knows his colors (red, green, blue, purple) and lots of animals. When you ask him how old he is he’ll say “two”.
- Favorite game (of mine): Nathan loves to say “mommy” and I say “Nathan” and then he gets louder and louder and I get louder and louder and then he’ll whisper “mommy” and get softer and softer until just his lips are mouthing “mommy”. I LOVE this game of his.
- Nathan has been very curious about the toilet and seems to understand that he should be using it. He’s peeps and pooped in the toilet a handful of times but definitely still needs a diaper. We just need to do a better job of asking him if he needs to go on a regular basis to get him used to it.
- Nathan is very attached to his little blue blankets that he lovingly calls “Be Be”
- Nathan is our daredevil and trouble maker for sure. He gets an evil grin on his face whenever he knows he’s going to do something bad. He likes to jump off of furniture and has no fear what-so-ever.
- Nathan gets a kick out of hiding. When you ask “where’s Nathan” he’s really quiet and just waits for you to come find him. His favorite hiding place is the coat closet.
- Weight: 28 1/4 lb (55%)
- Height: 34 1/2″ (55%)
- Favorite color: Green
- Favorite food: pastas and cheeses. He’s a little Italian boy for sure.
- Favorite Toy: Cars. Any size and shape. He’ll drive them around on the furniture and the floor.
- Anthony is deathly scared of the toilet. He wants nothing to do with it. I’ve thrown him on it twice and he screamed bloody murder both times. He is curious though. H’ell watch us when we’re going to the bathroom and always has to be in the bathroom when Nathan is sitting on the toilet.
- Anthony is a stuffed animals kinda guy. He has a stuffed teddy bear from Great Grandma and Grandpa DeLuca that he snuggles around the neck when it’s time for a nap or bed.
- Anthony is more particular about what he wears than Nathan. If you put something on him that he doesn’t want to wear he’ll scream and flop himself on the floor until you take it off him.
- Anthony is very organized. He likes to line his cars up or anything really in a line.
- Anthony is our lover. He is the best snuggler and gives the biggest hugs. He’s also very friendly and social. He’ll hug almost anyone and loves to people watch.
- We’ve definitely fallen into a routine. Even Gracie is relaxed and at home with the boys. She keeps her distance but barks when it’s time for them to have a meal (wonder why) and she’ll sit by the door until they get home if they go out without her.
- Ann is still our nanny and the boys love her. They call her “Ann-ee”. She’s started to take them to the library on Wednesday for a toddler reading class that is fun.
- Twins were impossibly hard for the first year… but I wouldn’t trade it for a second. It really does get easier and easier each day. They are incredible little boys and the fact that they have each other and get to grow up with their best friend makes me the happiest mom in the world.
We took the boys to the Pediatrician on Tuesday for their 18 month checkup. For some reason it was more tears than usual at the doctors office as well as a fight over who got to sit on Daddy’s lap. They only got one shot, Hep A, and were rewarded with a very sticky red lollipop. Their first time ever having a lollipop. Nothing too interesting to report from the doctor. They are on track and healthy. She did said that twins tend to talk much later than most kids because they see each other not talking and don’t feel the need… plus many twins develop their own language with each other. The boys definitely are jigger-jabbering with each other a lot lately.
- They both are starting to be curious about using spoons. We’ll give them a spoon and a bowl full of something and they’ll try to eat off their spoon for a little bit. Then they give up and use their hands.
- They’re in size 5 diapers still. We did buy a toilet seat cover thing but when we put them on it to see what they thought they both started screaming bloody murder.
- We’ve been going to the Y to go swimming a lot lately. They are pretty happy in the water but still cling to us as we float around.
- They love to swing on the swing in the backyard. it’ so nice that the weather is finally getting warmer…. it was a long winter.
- Lots of teeth! The both have their four little front bottom teeth and their four upper teeth. Nathan has four big molars and Anthony has two. It’s nice to know they can chew on their food.
- They LOVE to dance. We’ll put on music and they will sway back and forth and spin in circles… it’s adorable.
- Naps are limited. They still have a morning nap around 11 am for a couple hours but don’t really take an afternoon nap. Sometimes one of them will be exhausted and we’ll get a short 2nd one in.
- They’ve been interacting with each other more. They’ll always trying to play with the same toys or fighting over the same adult.
- They are both really smart. If you ask them where one of their body parts is they’ll point to it and smile. If you ask them to go get a toy they’ll go get it. If you ask them to go get a book, and a specific book, they’ll hunt through the pile of books until they find the one you want. They seem to understand most of what we tell them.
- Neither of the boys are really talking. Sometimes we’ll hear a “doggie”, “duck”, “daddy”, “mama”, “dude”, but that’s about the extent of it and it’s very rare.
- They go up and down the stairs on their own.
- They love to splash around in the bathtub together.
- They both give hugs and kisses!! This is my favorite part. If you ask them to give you a kiss they come over wide mouthed, same with a hug. Nathan typically turns his body so youre hugging his back but he’s still there for the snuggle.
- The boys typically go to bed around 7 or 7:30 pm and get up around 7.
- Height: 32 3/4″ 70th percentile
- Weight: 25 lbs 45th percentile
- Head circumference: 48
- Favorite foods: he likes anything but isn’t as excited about meats. He loves cottage cheese.
- Anthony is always the first one up in the morning. He stays happy if he can get Nathan woken up and the two of them talk to each other. But if Nathan ignores him and tries to sleep through it Anthony makes sure the whole house is up with him.
- Anthony loves to have fun but sometime he has a serious side to him like he’s busy and has work to do. He’ll be pushing along his little lawn mower (thank you grandma and grandpa DeLuca) and just goes back and forth without a smile. Then he get frustrated when he runs something over or it otherwise gets stuck. He’s got things to do!
- Anthony tends to get frustrated easily and wants everyone to know about it. Sometimes Steve and I joke that Anthony is 100% him.
- He was a little ham during this photo shoot.
- Height: 31 ” 30th percentile
- Weight: 21 13/16 25th percentile
- Favorite foods: sausage, fish, blueberries, bananas
- Nathan is pretty funny when it comes to food. He typically won’t eat the last of something. He’ll point at the food and make you give him another one so he has at least two pieces. The last piece he’ll carry around with him for a long time torturing Anthony.
- Nathan has been doing this thing lately that is super cute, he’ll climb up on chairs and just sit there like a grown up. He sits up so straight and once he’s acknowledged he’s so proud of himself.
- Nathan is a little more sensitive and very independent. He doesn’t like being told no.
- He is very much a daddy’s boy. Nathan is his happiest when he’s sitting on daddy’s lap. I couldn’t get pictures of him by himself because he’s always busy, but as soon as Daddy was there he was happy showing off his pearly whites.
- Being parents is old hat to us by now. Every day gets easier and easier. Seeing a parent with one baby, and how easy it is, gives me a sense of pride… we did it! we survived two infants! And as a reward we will only have to drive the kids to one baseball practice, one sleepover, one school… but we get the benefit of two beautiful and unique kids. Here’s hoping anyways…
- I have been travelling a lot recent for work. And by a lot I’ve gone to two conferences and am actually writing this post while flying to Santa Clara for an awards dinner. Steve has done amazing handling the boys on his own.
The boys are 15 months old. It is super hard to get a picture of them together especially when an adult is NOT holding them. I bribed them with cookies so the pictures are mostly of them shoving the cookies in their faces.
Here are some of the fun things the boys are doing right now:
- Waving hello and goodbye
- Pointing to body parts. Ex. Nose, tongue, hair, teeth, belly buttons
- Going and getting whatever you ask them for. ex. Cows, balls, books, shoes, water bottles.
- They mimic everything Steve and I do like throwing balls at the basketball hoop, lounging on the lovesac, turning on the tv.
- Favorite TV show… Word World. They can make it at least 5 minutes into an episode before they lose focus. They don’t really watch TV much though.
- They no longer walk, they run-wobble around.
- Favorite thing to do: They LOVE reading books. They both will grab a book and bring it over and then keep bringing books over until there is a queue of 4 or 5 before they’ll sit in your lap to listen in.
- They are still in size 4 diapers but we have used 5 as well.
- Ann is still our nanny and is doing all sorts of fun crafts with the boys. Like playing with pom poms and scribbling on paper. Their current masterpieces are on the fridge.
- They love being in the water, taking baths and going swimming at the Y. Although sometimes we joke that they are little koala bears with how they cling to us.
- They are big boys drinking out of Sassy grow up cups. They’re the cups that are transition from sippy cups to real cups. Highly recommend!++ http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Count-Purple-Orange-Ounce/dp/B0062BVY42/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392575942&sr=8-2&keywords=sassy+grow+up+cup
- Talking/blabbing. Mostly Nathan has different sounds for different words. But this morning Anthony said “Bah” when pointing to a banana. The pediatrician says that counts as words.
- They love to sleep. They’re still sleeping from 7 pm to 7:30 or 8 am. Their naps are cut down to once a day… sometimes we can get a second nap out of just one kid. If we put them both down in the afternoon they just sit and talk to each other.
- The boys like to stack their toys and put smaller toys inside bigger toys.
- Vaccines this month: DTAP & HIB… Nathan had a horrible reaction of puking everywhere that all of the dr’s said was the stomach flu.
- Height: 30 3/4″ (48%)
- Weight: 23lbs 6oz (40%)
- Head Circumference: (18 1/2″ (50%)
- Favorite food: everything but he really likes cheeses.
- Easiest way to get Anthony to laugh: tickle his toes or run and jump with your arms out and a big smile.
- Anthony is a master manipulator. He knows how to get what he wants. One minute he’ll be in a fit of laughter and the next he’s in tears.
- Height: 29 3/4″ (11%)
- Weight: 20lbs 15oz (8%)
- Head Circumference: 18 1/2″ (50%)
- Favorite food: fish.
- Favorite meal of the day, breakfast.
- Easiest way to get Nathan to laugh: throw him in the air. He likes to roughhouse.
- Nathan will hold onto the last piece of food forever. For example, they’ll get these little bisquit treats (the ones in the picture) and Nathan will keep the last bit of his forever which drives Anthony bonkers. He even likes to take naps with the cookie.
- Nathan’s personality hasn’t changed much. He’s still super curious, tough, and very independent.
Happy New Year everyone!
Last year went by faster than any other year that I can remember. It was an absolute blur.
We spent over $500 on diapers and the boys went through over 2,800 diapers. Which comes out to a little over 7 diapers a day. So we’ll dub 2013 the Year of the Diapers.
Other highlights from 2013:
- The boys are eating anything and everything. Solids solids solids. They are awesome eaters
- They are both walking.
- They go up and DOWN the stairs.
- They both say mama and dada. Nathan also says Dog. It’s his first official word. Which is perfect since his middle name is Douglas. So sometimes we call him Nate Doug.
- They love to read. Anthony loves to turn the pages of the books. He almost violently slaps at each page.
- The boys have other ways of letting us know what they want, usually it’s through pointing, crying/throwing a fit, or getting really excited. You should see Nathan when we start washing berries!
A few resolutions for the new year:
- Don’t make the boys get shots the week of their Birthday.
- Remove the pacifier… this is more my resolution than Steve’s. They only use paci’s at nighttime and naps but I’d like to get them out of the picture before the boys can say “paci”.
- See family more, even if it’s only through facetime.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2014!
The boys are a year old. I can’t believe it’s been a year. Time has flown by. Seems like only yesterday Steve and I were red eyed zombies and now we’re fully functional adults settled into a comfortable rhythm as parents.
It was tough to get a picture of the boys together this month so I took this quick video:
Not much as changed physically since last month with the boys. Neither one of them is walking yet but both of them are standing a little more without holding onto anything. They are super fast crawlers and like to walk holding onto the couch, toys, or our hands. They also like to climb the stairs and couches. They love to look out the windows, especially Anthony. They will play catch with you if you roll them a ball. They are eating anything and everything. Whatever we have for meals they’ll have as well. They are both excellent eaters.
Anthony and Nathan are smart little guys. Both of them are eager to do whatever Steve and I are doing and they pick up things quickly. They like to put toys in and out of larger toys/boxes. They have both started throwing hissy fits when they don’t get what they want. It’s the worst when they’re also tired but they will throw their heads down onto the ground and cry. They’re down to only two naps a day, morning and afternoon.
- Weight: 21 lbs 11 oz (40%)
- Height: 29″ (40%)
- Head Circumference: 18″ (40%)
- 2 teeth
- Loves to clap
- Stacks blocks. We have these yellow cardboard boxes and he’ll sit in front of them and stack them.
- Still loves to be held… he is a mama’s boy for sure.
- Anthony’s nicknames: ‘A’ man, Big Guy, Monkey Man
- Weight: 19 lbs 9 oz (8%)
- Height: 27 3/4″ (7%)
- Head Circumference: 18″ (40%)
- 4 teeth
- He loves to put things in other people’s mouths. He thinks it’s hilarious to feed mommy his toys.
- Has been doing this thing lately where he points at everything. He’ll let you know what he wants by pointing. He cracks up when you put your pointer finger onto his.
- Nathan’s nicknames: Nate, Nate Doug, Peanut (not as common as the others)
Somehow I didn’t get a picture of the four of us for the boys birthday… Steve and I are doing awesome. Ann is still our nanny and comes every day from 9 to 6. It’s so nice to work from home and get to sneak down and see the boys throughout the day. Steve just found out last week that he got a prestigious fellowship for work. I am still loving my job doing mobile development at IBM. I made it an entire year breast feeding twins! I am very proud of myself… we’ll see how much longer I/they decide to go. I love these boys so much. It’s only been a year but I feel like I’ve known them my whole life. Only 17 more years to go before they’re headed off to college…
There will be another post in the next few days about the boys first birthday party… stay tuned.
The boys are 11 months old.
The boys had a few firsts this month including:
- First flight – We flew to Montana to visit the family
- First timezone change
- First time to Montana
- First time climbing stairs
it’s getting harder and harder to breastfeed these munchkins. They get so distracted looking around the room. I found that I’m not able to talk to anyone else at all or they’ll stop eating and perk up to see what all the fun is about. I’m still tandem feeding though. They seem happier having their brother close by. I had to ditch the robots this month for their photos. It is hard enough getting them to smile let alone get them in a picture together.
A typical photo session ends up with a few glares in mom’s direction:
They are both excellent eaters! They are pretty much eating everything that we eat. Steve and I have been trying to have dinner early so that the boys can have cut up pieces of what we have. Tonight it was steak, rice, and green beans for their 11 month birthday. They practically refuse to be fed. They love using their hands and feeding themselves. Favorite food is probably waffles with peanut butter.
They are both on the go always, but luckily for us neither of them are walking yet. They’ll both take some steps when we hold their hands and Nathan loves the toy walker thing but I haven’t seen either of them attempt to walk on their own. We’ve tried sitting close together and encouraging them to take a step but they typically drop to their butts and just crawl between us.
Sleep isn’t an issue for the boys. We put them down around 7 pm and they can go until 8 am only getting up to eat once and sometimes that’s just us waking them up before we go to bed for the night.
- He has two teeth! I was so excited when they came in. This second one just poked through a couple days ago.
- Favorite toy: Anything that stacks. He loves to knock over other people’s creations.
- Anthony loves to look out the window and jump in his jumpy chair.
- He is still very much a people pleaser and loves being held. He’ll try to catch my eye (especially around nap time or bedtime) and will burst out laughing when our eyes meet. It’s hard not to smile around Anthony.
- I don’t have an official weight on Anthony but we did see their old nanny, Keri, on Friday and she thought that Anthony had thinned out a lot and gotten taller since she last saw him. He’s always on the move so I wouldn’t be surprised.
- Anthony has been doing this thing where he sucks in his lips. He looks pretty hilarious when he does it.
- He has 4 teeth now. I love his giant buck teeth with the gap in the middle.
- Nathan has been walking around with his tongue out. I think it’s because he likes the feeling of something on his new teeth.
- Favorite game: Catch. He’ll throw the ball back to you if you roll one to him. Peek-a-boo comes in a close second. He likes to be the one to hide and pull back the blanket/curtain to surprise everyone.
- Nathan is a little pickier than Anthony when it comes to eating food. Anthony will double fist food by the handfulls into his mouth while Nathan slowly picks each piece up and chews it. If there is something he doesn’t like he’ll shake his head no and push my hand away from him. He also throws food on the ground or plays with it when he’s done eating.
- Nathan is hard to get pictures of because he is always on the go!
- I’m still breastfeeding! The boys eat off me 5 or 6 times in a 24 hour period.
- Steve and I are making the boys twin beds. My sister is coming with her two boys in a couple weeks for the boys first birthday so they’ll get to try out the beds and let us know if they’re comfy. We probably won’t put the boys in them for a while but at least they’ll be done. It’s also a fun activity for Steve and I to do together.
- I’m still working from home which is awesome. I can walk downstairs and see the boys during the day. It makes me happy when they crawl over to the baby gates to see me when I’m walking by. I’ll usually wait until they get to me and give them a hug/kiss before going back to work.
- Ann is still our nanny and the boys love her. She is a good cook too so she spoils them with yummy lunches.
- I’m writing a kids book!! More later…
- MY SPLITTIX PATENT ISSUED!!
Steve and I were joking about how much Anthony is like him and Nathan is like me. We decided that rather than two eggs and two sperm, Steve’s sperm became Anthony and my egg became Nathan. Here’s why:
Anthony + Steve
- Same body type. They both have super long legs and a short torso.
- They both love to eat and aren’t picky about what it is.
- Anthony analyzes the situation and makes sure he has it figured out so that he can do it BEFORE trying it for the first time.
- They have the same hair.
- Anthony makes the same facial expressions as Steve. I swear he raises his eyebrows the same as well.
- Both of them cry when something is frustrating… and both of them have the type of cry that everyone else drops everything to try to help them to make them feel better.
- Anthony has Steve’s skin tone, he is barely out in the sun and has an instant tan.
- Both of them love me unconditionally.
Nathan + Lisa
- We have the same body type. Both of us have long torso’s and not as long legs.
- Nathan is a little pickier when it comes to food… me too.
- Both of us are into gadgets. If there is a screen in the room Nathan has to have it.
- Nathan learns by mistakes, he just goes.
- We’re both very stubborn. If he sees something he wants, he wants it now. You can try to hide it from him but as soon as he gets something in his mind he’s not going to forget about it very easily.
- Nathan and I LOVE to sleep. We can both sleep through Anthony screaming.
- We both like to multitask.
- Nathan and I are always smiling and don’t get too worked up unless there really is an issue.
- We both are empathetic when someone else is upset we try to cheer them up.
- Sorry Nathan, you got my super pale skin tone!
- I *kinda* have dimples, but not nearly as cute as Nathan’s.
- Nathan is more into sweets than Anthony, give him some pears or mangos and he’ll be happy.
…we’re curious to see if these things remain true as the boys grow up. Either way it’s pretty neat to think that a little version of each of us gets to spend another life-time together as best friends.